Tuesday, October 6, 2009

DIY lamp remodel

We have been re-decorating our bedroom; I painted 2 walls a dark taupe color, we're getting new lamps, a new bookcase, and possibly a new bed- headboard and footboard! The lamp that is on one of our nightstands is small, but I had the idea to put it on top of our armiore as an accent lamp. I wanted to re-vamp the lamp ;) to help it match our decor. So instead of sage green, I painted it to a antique brass style finish. Here's the instructions:

Materials
  • 2" painting brush, thick large bristles
  • 2 colors of acylic paint- I used "Folk Art" Asphaltum and "Folk Art Metallic" Taupe
  • paper plate or plastic lid


I first painted a medium thick coat of the darker color (asphaltum) over the entire lamp; I let it dry for about 15 mins. I rinsed out the brush.



I squeezed a nickel sized amount of the lighter metallic paint onto the plastic lid, and diluted it with water; about 1/2 and 1/2. I got some paint onto the brush, and gently wiped the brush onto a napkin to wipe off excess paint. You want to have a VERY VERY light amount of paint on the brush for the "over tone". I then made very light strokes on the lamp, around its circumference. This is a visual; you can add more paint if a lighter/brighter look is desired.





I also used tea mixed with a tiny bit of the taupe paint to paint the white lamp shade. It darkened it nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment